Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Who's job is it?

So, what do you think?
Who is ultimately in charge of making sure a kid is on track in school?
Parent or Student?
Leaving out the teacher entirely.

I've heard a lot of arguments both ways. In fact, I've heard a lot, A LOT of people say that school occurs at school not at home. I completely disagree with that argument. Completely. So, don't even get me started on that. Now, I don't mean that parent's should be teaching their kids to write an essay on their own or having kids do all sorts of extra "school-work"... But, I do think parents should encourage students learning at home. For example, cook with your elementary aged kids. Have them build something and practice measuring. Help your middle school kids sew something or set up their own bank account. All super important life skills. That also reinforce concepts that are learned in school.

However, who's job is it to make sure homework is getting done, papers are turned in, etc.?
I have always thought it is the kids job and that if parents are supporting them at home they will be successful at it. For example, parents should help set up binders, check planners, ASK their kids questions, etc. But, parents should not, call the teacher every day to make sure homework was turned in. Nor should parents completely trust that their kid is getting it done. It's a delicate balance! Especially, in the middle school years when kids are learning their own system and what works for them. It's tough!

But WHY, oh why. Do parents think that yelling at their kid one time or every other month is going to help their kid get and stay organized. Why do parents think that organizing a backpack one weekend but not looking again for another two weeks, is going to help their kid remember to turn in work?

It needs to happen EVERY DAY folks. Talk to your kid! Ask them how it's going? If they don't want to answer (which I'm sure they won't if they are middle schoolers) keep asking until they do. Look at work and planners together. EVERY DAY. Seriously.

And, also, just because your kid is amazing and you can't imagine there is anyone cooler...does not mean they are straight A students. Or that they should be. B's are okay! Heck, C's are okay too! Not everyone needs "special accommodations" because they are hyper or more time to process information. That is life. Not everyone is a straight A student and that is OKAY. Let's relax as a society.

Because, let me tell you, your kids teacher doesn't need 15 kids in one class with "spacial accommodations." And whether you go to private or public school the rules are the same....state law is state law.

And, now I will get off my rambling soap box.

No comments: