Monday, August 2, 2010

So close....

This morning when Shane got to the hospital he was able to go to rounds.  At rounds they made the big announcement that Calder's discharge date was set for WEDNESDAY!  Shane emailed me STAT so that I could set up his 24-48 hour pediatrician appointment and the UW could fax all of his records over.  So, I took care of that asap.  T and I made a huge grocery list and shopped like it was Y2K so we wouldn't have to worry about it for a while after C-dog made the trip home.  We cleaned like mad too....I sort of missed the whole nesting phase of this pregnancy but it kicked in full force this morning.  Everything is swept, mopped, dusted and filed away! 

And then...Calder spit up...and couldn't clear his air way...and desated...and couldn't bring his oxygen rate back up by himself.  So, the nurse had to give him a "blow-by" (which means they just blow oxygen in front of his nose so he gets a few breaths of super saturated air).  And, as a result, Calder is back at ground zero.  Okay, maybe not ground zero.  He has come so far!  But, as far as the 5 day countdown to go home...he is back at day zero. 

The ARNP was not too shocked or worried.  Because Calder has his immunizations they were really watching for something like this to happen.  Most of the babies de-sat after their immunizations which is why they want to do them before the babies leave the NICU.  But still, it was kinda, sorta disappointing.  I let myself get my hopes up.  Envisioned life with out hospital visits.  T and I were even joking about how sad we were going to be when we didn't get to eat cafeteria food anymore!  (side note:  yes, i realize we could pack our lunches/dinners and sometimes we do...but to be honest today was the 1st day I actually went grocery shopping since the day I was admitted to the hospital-- May 25th--so we don't exactly have a lot of food options on the home front-FYI)!

Anyway, I am glad Calder is in the NICU tonight so they can keep an eye on him.  Shane said he was definitely not himself today.  Very tired.  Very few grunts.  And that right there is telling.  Because if there is one thing my son knows how to do...it is grunt.  Well, that and samurai kicks.

2 comments:

jamie t. said...

aw, hang in there alisha! I can't imagine how exhasted you are. Sounds like he is doing great. He'll be home soon. at least you got groceries??? :)

Unknown said...

So close, but just not quite ready. I thing Calder wanted to stay at the UW a little longer to see the blue angels and be a part of the wonderful Seafair tradition. Also Calder didn't want to interrupt Mommy and daddy's Anniversary.

Loved you guys very much
Gary and Ludie