Saturday, June 1, 2013

One


Dear Lincoln,

This has been the fastest and craziest year of my life.  I know it is cliché but I feel like you were a baby for the blink of an eye.  We had so much happen this year.  The first few weeks you were home from the hospital, you and I would spend a good portion of our day lounging in bed, eating and sleeping while Calder was taking his nap.  I want to go back and savor those hours.
You are such an observer.  You watch the world around you intently.  And when you decide you want to do something you make sure we know what you want. 
You have always been pretty laid back.  But right now you are a mamma’s boy and even though I might act exasperated and tired I love it.  In the morning when I get you out of your crib you snuggle into my neck and don’t want to leave.  It is the best.  Your cheek nestled against my neck just like when you were a few months old.  I know this snuggling will end soon (and be replaced by bigger and better things) but at this moment I want you to, please, snuggle forever. 
Your very favorite thing in the world is your brother.  You think he is a genius.  You especially think he is a genius when he is doing something that you should not do.  You stare intently at him as he stands up on a chair and I can just see the wheels turning in your brain about how that is the most amazing thing you have ever seen.  Daddy does a running commentary on what you are thinking as Calder performs his antics.  A lot of the time it is just an intent stare and a, “my brother is a GENIUS.”  Dad and I are worried about when you two are older.  Just yesterday you started trying to climb up into Calder’s high chair.  Heaven help us.
Tayler is still the baby whisperer.  You love your sister.  If you are upset she can calm you down.  You want to play with her and you think it is especially funny if you accidentally throw something at her or drop something on her.  She is the most patient person I have ever met and loves you fiercely.
At your one year check-up you were not really walking yet.  You would take a few steps but would rather just crawl or hang on to furniture.  If you took a few steps and then realized it you would sot down and cry. You did love to walk around while hanging onto mama or daddy’s finger.  And you wanted to do this ALL DAY LONG.  I am not joking.  Dad and I thought we were going to go insane walking you around with one finger.  And if you let go of our finger, all hell broke loose.  You would sit down, throw your little body face down on the floor, and throw the cutest little fit we have ever seen.  Crocodile tears.   On Memorial Day weekend that all changed.  Suddenly you started walking.  Everywhere.  All of the time.  You did a lap around our house. Your walk is pretty funny.  You lead with your belly and your arms stick out on either side and you kind of waddle back and forth. 

One day you wouldn’t take two steps the next day: Do not pick Lincoln up, do not touch his finger, do not help him in any way or he will get mad!  I think this is a big part of your personality.  You don’t talk much yet either.  You kind of say ma-ma and kind of say da-da.  But, that’s pretty much it.  I think you are just going to start speaking in sentences one day.  You shake your head back and forth all the time. I think it is a copy cat move from your brother but you do it when you do not want to do something.  The problem is you do it so quickly it always makes you and us laugh.  So, your attempt at saying "no" turns into a laugh fest.  
You are happy all day long.  You love to eat.  I asked Dad what I should say about you and his response was, "three handfuls-one bite" and "stuff, stuff, chew."  Your favorite foods are sweet potatoes, oranges and toast.  You don't really care for a lot of meat but you will eat it.  You've never spit anything out since the sad phase where you did not like avocados...but you love them now! 

You love the tub.  You do face plants and go under water and just about give me a heart attack every night.  We need to get you in swim lessons soon.  You do not love to get out of the tub.  That is a full on crisis.  But, we persevere!
We love you sweet boy.  You are the best surprise we could ever dream of.  You are totally worth all of the progesterone shots that Dad gave me while you were cooking.  You are our observant, thoughtful, chunker of a boy and our family would not be complete without you.

Love, Mama and Daddy

No comments: