Thursday, February 24, 2011

Survival Mode

Sometimes we go for walks when the weather isn't so great.  When we do that Calder goes into what we like to call, "survival mode."  This is yet another example of our exceptional parenting skills.  The last  time this happened was when we decided to go clamming in the middle of what ended up being a huge wind and rain storm (50 mph winds-sideways rain).  Calder just stares at us like, "What the heck, guys?  You're kidding right...?"  Then he sort of hunkers into me in his baby carrier.  And before long he is asleep.  Now, this only happens during 'survival mode'.  He does not normally fall asleep in the sling.  It is like his little body is saying, "must conserve energy, must sleep, must live."  Maybe, we should be worried but, really, we are pretty responsible and we are all constantly saying things like, "Is he warm?  Does he need some gloves?  Are his legs completely covered?  Should he have a blanket?  Is he breathing (that one is left over from the NICU)?"  So, I think he is plenty well cared for.

This was not the 50mph wind day.  This was a few days before and it was beautiful out so we had to go for a walk!  Unfortunately, it was also freezing.  I think I have three layers on top and two layers on the bottom.  You can see the sleeping in the bottom picture.  I'm wearing a reflective running hat so excuse the bright glare. 

Poor Little Fella 

No comments: